Friday, August 29, 2008

Day 24: Comfort Food

Yesterday's devotional was about how God's Word is a help to us by comforting us as we go through difficulties and hardships, also known as "life." This is a fact that I haven't been exploiting recently. I know that the Bible is there to help me through life, but lately I feel like it's convicting me instead. I know that my spirit is not in the right place. I live for myself, and though I try to do the right thing and do in many instances, there are just as many where I succumb to my own will and do things my way. This is wrong.

God's Word is something to be treasured, not avoided. If I find something in it that points out a fault in my life, I shouldn't be discouraged and put off reading my Bible next time. I should take heart, pray for strength, and work to remove the flaw. That's why it's there!

With this in mind, yesterday's Scripture was Isaiah 1-3. The part I got out of it was how God talked to Israel about how obedience was worth much more to him than any offerings they could give. I feel like this is something I need to work on. I read my Bible and pray often, but I do not obey God in everything that He charges me with, primarily in how to use my time. I've fallen into the habit of simply wasting it most of the time. I have to pull myself out of this rut, but I can only do it with God's help.

1 comment:

Kay Hautea said...

Don't worry, Rich, once the year gets going and we all get back, you'll find a productive rhythm that'll better allow you to purposively submit everything to the Lord. Plus, you're a senior now; you won't have time to waste :) And we'll all play video games together, which is an excellent use of time!