Saturday, October 18, 2008

A Hill Too High

Today's message was something particularly pertinent to me: scaling mountains in our lives. As a 19-year-old senior at Vassar preparing for graduate school, I feel like I've got K2 starting me down. But the devotion makes an excellent point. When the Israelites were wandering through the wilderness, God provided them with manna for all those years--but only enough for one day at a time. I think it's reasonable to assume that God will do the same for me: providing me with enough grace and motivation to prepare for grad school one day at a time, and then continuing to aid me past that, as I go through grad school, seek out a job, and find the spouse that God wants me to have (and prepare me for her as well, so that I can be all that I should be). When I look ahead in the long term, I feel like I'll never be able to do all of that, but if I can stay in the moment and trust God, then it suddenly seems quite possible.

More Hebrews today in the Scripture reading. It talked a bit about the new covenant, which is the first time I've noticed it explicitly mentioned in the Bible. I've had a lot of questions about that lately, so I'm going to dig deeper.