Sunday, August 24, 2008

Day 19: Pascal's Prayer

Still catching up...

Today's devotion had one of the coolest prayers I've ever read. Attributed to Blaise Pascal, it says, “Lord, help me to do great things as though they were little, since I do them with Your power; and little things as though they were great, since I do them in Your name.” I think that this is a prayer for me. I tend to get puffed up when I'm doing things that are important, forgetting entirely that it is only because of God that I am able to do them at all. Also, when it comes to the small things, I try to avoid them or pass them off to others, because they simply aren't important enough for me to bother with. This is a horrible attitude to harbor, and an area in which I need work.

Saturday's Scripture is usually long, and this week's was no exception: the entire book of Phillippians. Phillippians 2:3-4 hit home the most: "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others." I definitely struggle with this inwardly. I am aware that God has blessed me with a strong mind, and often, I may think myself above others without even realizing it. The pride that stems from this is appalling to God, and it is something I must work on.

I will definitely get caught up later today.

1 comment:

Kay Hautea said...

Ooo, cool prayer! It sort of reminds me of something Francis Chan said... he quoted the Bible, but naturally I can't remember what verse specifically at this time, but it was something about how God entrusts us with small things in our time on earth that we may be entrusted with even greater things in paradise. And he spoke about how so many Christians are willing to sacrifice their livelihoods to feed starving kids in Africa, when so many of the same fail at serving their neighbors at home. God is in the small things, indeed. Miss you, but not for much longer :)