Sunday, August 24, 2008

Day 20: God's Restraint

The things that we go through in life are not always fun. In fact, God tells us that if we're living correctly, there will be trials and tribulations. But He does assure us that He will never give us more than we can handle...as long as we rely on Him.

Many times, I've felt that God was sending me through a particularly difficult time. I wondered why things were so difficult and if they would ever change. In those times, however, I found that obeying God and seeking His will gave me an inner peace. It did not dissipate the circumstances around me, but it enabled me to deal with them. Now, looking back, I can see that those trials made me a better person overall. The point is that God will send obstacles our way, but He will always provide a way through them and He will always be there to comfort and aid us as we overcome them.

Psalms 99-101 were today's Scripture. Psalm 99 emphasizes God's kingship, and Psalm 100 is a brief passage which gives thanks to God. It is Psalm 101 which grabbed me most. It talks about keeping one's eyes on the things of God and removing all evil from his house. I wonder how good I am at doing this. It's easy to become callous to secular things without thinking about how they are affecting our walk with God. It's hard, but I think I should give some of the things I watch or do some extra thought.

No comments: