Monday, August 25, 2008

Day 21: Foundation Of The Heart

Today's devotional struck a chord with me today, as it seems these devotions always do. It likened people to the great cathedrals of Europe: while magnificent to look at, they are weak at the core and must be supported from the outside. People certainly are great and capable of amazing achievements--just look at the Olympics--but without God to support us, we crumble into nothing. It is through personal prayer time and reading His word that we can strengthen our support from God. The stronger our relationship is with Him, the stronger our life can be.

Lately I've been struggling with my thorn again. I rarely give a second thought to this sin anymore, engaging in it because "I feel like it." The problem is that God never said we'd always "feel" like doing the right thing, but we should do it because it is beneficial to us and because He said so. I think that's what I'm missing the most: a fear of God. I don't mean a fear of fire and brimstone or lightning bolts thrown from the heavens or anything like that (although God certainly is capable). I mean respect, reverence, and awe for Him. I would never do some of the sins I commit if my parents were over my shoulder 24/7, so why should it be different with God? I guess there are no tangible consequences for stepping out of line with God...in the immediate sense, I mean. I will be judged for my actions one day, so I really need to develop this sense of respect NOW.

Anyway, the Scripture today was Song of Songs 1-3. The language that the lover and the beloved use for each other is extremely sweet and poetic; it's pretty obvious that they are crazy about each other. I suppose it's the kind of love that God feels for His church. I wish I knew love like this for someone. There's a girl that I do care for and have cared for more than anyone, but...well, it's kinda scary to fully devote your feelings to someone when you don't think they feel the same way. But anyway, I've never read the whole of Song of Songs, so this should be interesting.

No comments: