Monday, August 11, 2008

Day 7: True Teamwork

Today's devotion was a little difficult for me. It wasn't difficult in that I found its lesson to pertain directly to me and be very convicting. It was difficult in that I had to dig a little bit before I found a part that pertained to me. It talked about sports as a metaphor to our Christian walk, and how we often see non-believers as the opponent. This should never be the case. Satan and his forces are our only adversary; those who have yet not come to Christ should be thought of as "free agents." We should be striving to get them to join the team.

Paul likens the Christian walk to running a race. He says that we should always be running as to win the prize at the end. It makes me wonder how hard I'm running. Witnessing to others has always been a weakness of mine, as I know it is for many, many others. Still, if I truly love those who do not believe as Jesus did, then I should be more concerned about their eternal souls than my own temporary discomfort. This doesn't mean that I should go run out in the streets and start proclaiming that the end is at hand and people need to get saved. However, I should be actively looking for opportunities to share the gospel with others. It may be difficult, but then again, who ever said that running a race was easy?

No comments: