Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Statement of Purpose

This blog is here to help me dive deeper into the Scriptures. It is not here to entertain the masses, although I hope that others can extract some encouragement from these posts. Every morning, I read the daily devotional from "Our Daily Bread" (which can be found here), but I don't really feel like I apply it to my life at all. I long to have a stronger relationship with God, but shoving the Lord off to the side is pretty easy when your life is good. I feel like the Israelites throughout most of the Old Testament: things are awesome, they turn away from God, God lets bad stuff happen, they turn back to God, things become awesome again, lather, rinse, repeat. I can't say that I'm stuck in this cycle, but I am stuck between the parts where I've turned away from God and bad stuff happens. I'm not saying I've renounced Christianity; I believe that God has saved me through Christ's blood. What I'm saying is that I am missing that all-important relationship with God that separates Christianity from so many other religions. As we all know, relationships take work, and that is why this blog is here.

I am going to post here every day for one week, starting today. I'm sure that I'll end up posting for longer than that, but I seem to do better with short-term goals. I'm going to consider what the devotion says and try to see how it applies to my own life, and I'll probably pray a bit in it as well. I've found that praying through typing works well for me, because it keeps me focused. The point is that I've gone too long without putting some serious work into developing a relationship with God, and it is time to change that.

Any and all encouragement/constructive criticism is welcome.

No comments: