Saturday, October 2, 2010

On Vows and Vanity

I found some great Scriptures in Ecclesiastes this morning. Usually, when I think of that book of the Bible, I get depressed, given the author's overall tone. I, personally, am a big fan of life, so I don't appreciate how pessimistic the author's opinion of it seems. But as I read it, I realize that the author isn't belittling life, but pointing out the things within it that can cause us to belittle it ourselves.

Anyway, onto the Scriptures. Ecclesiastes 5:4-5 (linked in the sidebar) strikes a chord within me. I know it seems obvious, but it convicts me, as I know I have made specific promises to God in the past and broken them (e.g., "Lord, I promise that I will always/never do X."). We should take any vow that we make with God as seriously as life and death, because in Old Testament times, that's how serious it often was! I know that Jesus says that we are to let our "yes" be "yes" and our "no" be "no," but at least for me, a vow can be a serious deterrent towards temptation. Still, I have learned that if you do make a vow, make certain you can fulfill it. Add a penalty that you KNOW you can pay if you fail to keep the main stipulation. This way, even if you fall, you are not in danger of breaching a contract with the Lord.

Ecclesiastes 6:1-2 was interesting as well. I had to read it a few times before I got what it was saying, but eventually it clicked: if we are consumed with how we appear to others, we will spend our money and time on things we really don't need (or even want, in some cases). I'm not saying it's wrong to have nice things, but being wrapped up in having the best or the latest at all times is sure to end badly. At least, that's how I interpret it. I thought it was interesting that a vice that in some ways defines America was identified by Solomon thousands of years ago! Just proof that the Bible continues to be pertinent today.

Anyway, stuff to think about.

No comments: