Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Day 2: The Apprentice

My pastor is fond of the saying, "With higher levels come higher devils." That seems to be the lesson today's devotional is trying to teach. Many times I've felt that I was ready for advancement or more responsibility when in reality I needed more training. I can think of a few times in the Vassar Christian Fellowship where I tried to accept more than I could fit into my schedule, and while the results were far from catastrophic, it was discouraging to know that I had not lived up to my role. I believe that God would rather us place our full effort behind one task than divide it amongst several.

After serving on the executive board as treasurer for VXF (Vassar Christian Fellowship) for two years now, I can definitely say that it is important for someone to be thoroughly trained and prepared for leadership before they assume the role. Personally, I don't believe that I was ready for the job when I first accepted it. I didn't take it seriously enough, and even now, I'm reaping the repercussions from that. The attitude that a leader should have is that of a servant. That is the attitude Jesus had, and I believe we should all be apprentices of Him, since He should be leading us every day.

I think that many times, people forget what a leader is. They focus on how good it must feel to have everyone looking to them for guidance and forget about the actual guiding part. I know that I have been guilty of such thinking on more than a few occasions. Thankfully, God usually gives us more than one chance at being a leader. My prayer is that He never gives me the opportunity prematurely.

No comments: