Thursday, August 7, 2008

Day 3: God's Training School

Hardships are a part of the Christian walk. If we are not encountering them, then we are not walking with the Lord. I haven't been encountering many trials lately, so I can't help but wonder how close I am to God. I suppose I already know the answer to that. Still, my thorn has been a perpetual hardship, and I have not yet grown entirely complacent to its presence. Ironically, my thorn is an encouragement in this way.

Thankfully, difficult trials are not the end of the story. If we are successful in getting through them, they will prepare us for more intense tasks later in life, and they will build character that we may serve God in ways we could not before. Today's and yesterday's devotion are complementary, as tribulations are often the best preparations for being a leader. While I do not enjoy persevering through a difficult time, I am more than willing to do so if it will bring me closer to God.

Or am I? There are times when unpleasant tasks are set before me, and I either procrastinate or I simply don't do them at all. These don't seem like spiritual trials, but God's work often includes seemingly secular tasks that aren't necessarily easy. Perhaps God has set quite a few trials before me, and He has left me the option of avoiding them. I know His will is for me to do them, as they will strengthen me in my walk, but I haven't been doing so. I guess it's time to put on the big-boy underpants and get started.

1 comment:

AKBogert said...

*this blog brought to you by Huggies.