Friday, August 8, 2008

Day 4: The Greatest Race

Today's devotion is about love, and being 19, that subject is more than interesting enough for me. It didn't talk much about romance, though; it referred to the love found in 1 Corinthians 13, the kind of love God desires us to show.

I am blessed in that I don't have much trouble loving others. I have the tendency to see the good and admirable in people, which makes it easy to appreciate and care about others (but also makes me gullible at times). My greatest struggle is in loving the Lord. Don't mistake my meaning: I truly appreciate what God has done for me, but given my lifestyle, I don't think I truly love Him. Love requires action, and I know that I have a weakness in this area when it comes to God. Fortunately, I have returned to reading the Bible every day, but prayer has not become a habit, which saddens me. I cannot have a true relationship with God if I don't talk to Him or allow Him to talk to me, and without that relationship, I easily succumb to sin. I have hundreds of examples at the ready to back up that claim.

I'm beginning to understand how I can show true love to God, and it's really just a return to basics. If I really love the Lord, then I will seek out a relationship with Him and walk in His ways, even if my own are more pleasurable from a secular stance. And with that in mind, I'm going to pray for a bit, and then get cracking on some laundry and an essay. ;-)

No comments: