Saturday, August 9, 2008

Day 5: Open the Shutters

Today's devotional was based on a simple, yet profound principle in the Christian walk: if God is to make us truly happy, He must first remove whatever we are currently relying on for happiness. Living in America, this can be a difficult rule to abide under. We have been given so much to be thankful for in this country. In the category of technology alone (the area in which most of my luxuries fall), I have two current-generation video game systems, a cell phone, a laptop, an iPod, a 26" TV, and a car, not to mention the dozens of accesories that come with each. Yet from an eternal viewpoint, none of these possessions are worth anything. They are not necessarily evil; God wants us to enjoy the pleasures on earth that He has given us. However, they are not spiritually edifying, and they can become sin if we allow them to become more important than Him. I am certainly guilty of this.

According to the devotion, Samuel Rutherford, a 17th-century theologian, likened this change in reliance to a man who idolized a set of lamps in a darkened room, had them all snuffed out, and then had the shutters opened in the room to let in the sun's light. He had to go through a period of darkness first, but any discomfort he felt was immediately dispelled when the light of the heavens burst through. I suppose I am going through a slightly similar process with this blog. I am giving up time which I might spend playing video games or surfing the Web, but I've already come to enjoy it. I realize that my relationship with the Lord still does and always will have a long way to go, but if I can just give up a little more to Him every day, I know that I will be happier in the end.

No comments: