Thursday, October 7, 2010

Reporting In

Not too much has been happening lately, but I'd rather consistently update with nothing than fall out of a still-forming habit. One professor in particular has been keeping me busy with multiple papers this week.

Speaking of work, one thing I've been thinking about a lot is procrastination. (Me and every other person with a pulse on this planet, I'm sure.) It was easy to do work this summer from 9-5 at my internship, but now that I'm back at school, it's far easier to put things off and just waste time. I believe it's because of accountability. At work, I was concerned about my supervisors or even a coworker catching me doing nothing productive, but no such check exists here. I talked to my dad about this, and he said that I just need to learn to make goals for myself and hold myself accountable to them. He also said that many people never master this, but it is the path to success.

I think the trick is remembering that God is always watching. You don't have to hold yourself accountable if you are aware that He will hold you accountable for everything you've ever done at the end of your life. The real trick then becomes to assign the proper weight to those consequences. People often have difficulty taking the hereafter seriously when the only experience we've had is life on this earth.

Anyway, food for thought. Time to get to work.

No comments: